A mission to give light to the people suffering from needless blindness and to fulfill national objective: “Vision 2020”.
Corporate Partnership Program
- CPP is designed to support the CSR program of corporate houses.
Camp Sponsorship and Support for Cataract Surgery
- Globally the number of people of all ages visually impaired is estimated to be 285 million, of whom 39 million are blind. People 50 years and older are 82% of all blind. The major causes of visual impairment are uncorrected refractive errors (43%) and cataract (33%); the first cause of blindness is cataract (51%)(World Health Organization).
- Calculation of annual incidence based on 0.5 % (estimated reduced prevalence) blindness rate in Nepal.
- There are at least 120,000 eyes become blind (6/60) due to cataract in the country.
- The strategic plan for vision 2020 also recommends the need to increase present Cataract Surgical Rate (CSR) of 1650 among Nepali population up to three fold to decrease prevalence of blindness and to cope with estimated incidence rate in the country.
- Therefore, we organize cataract screening camps throughout the region, from which cataract cases are identified and brought to the hospital for surgery (Nepal Netra Jyoti Sangh, 2012).
School Screening Programs
- Visual Performance can make it very difficult for a child to perform at school. It has been estimated that as much as 80% of the learning a child does occurs through his or her eyes.
- When his or her vision is not functioning properly, education and participation in sports can suffer, which directly affects their future.
- The earlier a vision problem is detected and treated, the more likely treatment will be successful (American Optometric Association).
- Therefore, we want to expand our services in the maximum number of schools in the region, for early identification and treatment of visual problems in school children.
Strengthening of Diabetic Care Club and Diabetic retinopathy camps
- Diabetic retinopathy is a condition occurring in persons with diabetes, which causes progressive damage to the retina, the light sensitive lining at the back of the eye. It is a serious sight-threatening complication of diabetes. If left untreated, diabetic retinopathy can cause blindness (American Optometric Association).
- With an active Diabetic Care Club (DCC) already functional within the Foundation, we have been providing diabetic retinopathy services in the hospital as part of our regular services as well as occasional camps.
- At this point in time we have been conducting three such camps in Biratnagar. We are currently looking to enhance and strengthen the DCC and also increase the frequency and coverage of Diabetic Retinopathy camps to at least six camps and also outside Biratnagar.
Other Awareness Programs
- Apart from providing medical services to those in need, the foundation has been involved in raising awareness among groups like traditional healers, refresher trainings for health workers at health posts, medical sales person and sub health posts, etc. We would like to give continuity to such activities in the future too, so that better services can be provided and in time.
- By being a part of any of the above programs as a Equipment or financial Sponsor, you can partner us in this MISSION LIGHT and be a proud donor of someone at the risk of losing sight.
~ Contact us for detail ~
Ramlal Golchha Eye Hospital Foudnation
Biratnagar – 9, Goswara Road